Letting Agents for Landlords

Why Choose Boyd Letting for your property?

Boyd Letting is:

  • Compliant with the Letting Agent Code of Practice and on the Scottish Letting Agent Register, No: LARN1806010
  • Accredited with Landlord Accreditation Scotland
  • good at what we do – all properties successfully let
  • well known and have a waiting list of prospective tenants
  • competitive with our fees
  • believe in keeping our clients happy and provide a high level of customer service
  • an experienced professional team
  • effective and efficient with our marketing
  • in a central, west-end location with prime window space
  • a law firm and so receive full back-up from our established legal practice

How can we make your life easier?

Managing your own property can be a minefield when you take into account every-thing that has to be dealt with from Landlord Registration, Referencing, Private Residential Tenancy agreements to Repair Issues, rent collection and notices to leave. We are here to give you peace of mind.

Our lettings team is highly experienced and efficient, working with you throughout your time with us, and dealing with the paperwork property letting generates with as little hassle or stress to you as possible.

We will be upfront about the cost and there won’t be any nasty surprises with unexpected fees and add-ons. We have been acting on behalf of landlords and providing advice on investment properties for many years. We also have a well-respected legal team covering a range of areas as well as an estate agency, so if you have any other property or legal requirements, our experienced team are on hand to give advice and help.

We offer a full management service which includes:

  • Tenant selection and referencing
  • Drawing up and signing of all lease documentation
  • Preparing a detailed Inventory
  • Monthly income/expenditure statements
  • Rent collection
  • Transfer of deposit to Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)
  • Inspections
  • Renewal of Safety Certificates
  • Dealing with out of hours emergencies
  • Instructing/supervising maintenance requirements
  • Detailed exit inspection
  • Exit Inspection inventory check and any required deductions
  • Finalising and transferring utility bills and Council Tax details
  • Keeping up to date with legislation

Finding the Right Tenants:

We’re as keen as you are to get your property rented out to the right person. We will devise a full campaign to get your property noticed by prospective tenants and personally carry out viewings to check their suitability on your behalf:

  • ‘Eye catching’ To Let boards
  • 360 Virtual Video Tour *
  • Website Marketing:

                      • boydproperty.com

                      • lettingweb.co.uk

                      • zoopla.co.uk

                      • OnTheMarket.com

                      • primelocation.com

  • Social Media Advertising
  • Window Displays – prominent West End location
  • Database of current tenants
  • We personally carry out viewings
  • 'Vet’ prospective tenants at viewing stage
  • Independent Referencing Agency

*Extra Cost involved – please ask for details

What we will help you do:

Prepare your property for rental which includes advice and guidance on:

  • Décor
  • Electrical safety
  • Fire safety
  • Fixtures and fittings
  • Furnishings
  • Gas safety
  • Insurance
  • Landlord Registration
  • Legionella Risk Management
  • Overseas Landlords

Other services we offer:

  • HMO Management Packages
  • Tenant Find Packages 

 Please call our office on 0131 226 0345 for further information. 

Expert Property Management & Letting for Landlords in Scotland

So, for example, you shouldn’t have draughty windows or doors, leaks around window frames or water ingress through the roof caused by cracked roof tiles or blocked gutters.

Letting a Property in Scotland

Below is a list of some of the key features of our professional and effective approach to property management and some of the questions frequently asked about letting a property in Scotland.

Our approach to property letting and management

We understand what is important to our landlords when letting their property. We offer an efficient and approachable service and have the advantage of working in a legal practice and having the backing of lawyers specialising in the tenancy law. Amongst other things, we provide:


Boyd Letting will carry out all viewings on your property and accompany prospective tenants. If you or your current tenant occupies the property, viewings can be ‘by appointment only’ to ensure minimum inconvenience.

Tenant selection & referencing

We know how important it is to find the right tenants for your property and so we use an independent referencing agency to check potential tenants’ credit, employment and financial history. Some tenants (e.g. students) will also be asked to provide a parental guarantor.

Draft lease and legal documentation

We will draw up a Private Residential Tenancy as our standard form of lease and all accompanying legal paperwork that needs to be supplied to your tenants.

Rent collection

We’ll collect rental funds from your tenants and send you a detailed statement every month by email or letter. The rental income is paid directly into your nominated bank account.

Deposit management

Tenants must pay a deposit which is equivalent to one month’s rent plus £100 which will be transferred to our designated TDS which is mydeposits Scotland. The deposit will be held with them for the duration of the tenancy and will only be refundable once we’ve completed a full exit inspection and inventory check and confirmed that all conditions for repaying the deposit have been met according to the terms of the TDS. In some instances, an additional deposit is taken if, for example, the tenants are students with no guarantor and if agreed, the tenants have a pet.

Prepare a detailed inventory

We know how important it is to keep your property pristine. To make sure it stays that way, we’ll prepare a detailed written and video inventory and record the condition of the décor, flooring and furnishings. We’ll also carry out an initial inspection 6 to 8 weeks into the tenancy followed by regular inspections thereafter. This will allow us to assess the condition of the property, identify any maintenance issues and get an overall indication of the appearance of the property.

Deal with utility bills and council tax

Tenants have a responsibility to set up their own accounts however we will record meter readings for gas and electricity at check-in and exit and contact the relevant utility companies to inform them of the changeover of occupants. Your tenants will only receive their deposit once they have proven they’ve paid any outstanding bills.

Help you comply with all legal and safety landlord obligations

With our in-house legal team, we can ensure you’re well equipped to understand the legislation that protects you and your tenants and we’ll keep you informed of any new legislation that might affect you. We guide you through your legal obligations and responsibilities such as gas safety checks, HMO, electrical, landlord registration, overseas status and insurance and will liaise with your tenants on your behalf.

Carry out property maintenance

Our teams of reliable and skilled contractors are always on hand. We use a common sense approach, tackling any small problems on your behalf, as they arise and for bigger jobs we won’t carry out work past an agreed amount (unless an emergency situation) without contacting you first.

Carry out a full tenant exit inspection

Our exit inspections are detailed and thorough – we’ll spend as long as it takes and pay attention to the detail.

How long does it take to rent out my property?

Much depends on the state of the property market, so it is impossible to predict exactly how long it will take a property to let. However, all our recent property lets have been taken on the first viewings.

Where do we offer our letting service?

We currently manage properties mainly all over Edinburgh, the Lothians and Fife.

What are your fees and what do they cover? Will I be charged any hidden add-ons?

We’re committed to being open and up-front about every aspect of our property management and letting services. You won’t be invoiced for any hidden charges and we pass on all discounted costs we command from our contractors direct to our landlord clients. Please get in touch for a full information pack that lists all our fees and services.

How do I prepare my property for rental?

To rent out your property, it must first meet the legal repairing standard. This means that your property must be:

Wind and watertight

So, for example, you shouldn’t have draughty windows or doors, leaks around window frames or water ingress through the roof caused by cracked roof tiles or blocked gutters.

Fit for human habitation

The residence must be structurally stable, substantially free from penetrating or rising damp, have adequate heating, lighting and ventilation, a wholesome water supply, effective sanitation and satisfactory cooking facilities.

Fixtures and fittings

The fixtures and fittings that you provide must be working and in a reasonable state of repair, i.e. don’t provide a washing machine/vacuum cleaner that doesn’t work properly.

Fire safety

The property must have interlinked smoke detectors in the hallway, living/dining rooms and heat detector in the kitchen. HMO properties will require ones in bedrooms too. We strongly recommend that a fire extinguisher and blanket are supplied whatever the size of the property.

Gas safety

If there is gas in your property a Gas Safety Check must be carried out annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer. This is a legal requirement. You will be breaking the law if you fail to do this and could face an unlimited fine or imprisonment. CO detectors are also required in any room where there is a gas appliance and any room the flue passes through.

Electrical safety

Hardwiring in the property should be checked every five years (three for HMO properties) by a registered electrician. The electrician will carry out an EICR and a Portable Appliance Test on electrical appliances you provide which are checked annually and a certificate will be issued for both.


Upholstered furnishings must comply with the Furnishing (Fire) Safety Regulations 1988. This applies to furnishings such as couches, chairs, mattresses and padded headboards – basically anything that has been upholstered. We have a wealth of experience in the rental market and are happy to help advice you on the best way to furnish your property for the target rental market you wish to attract.


You will need buildings insurance. Insurers need to know who is living in your property in order to calculate the risk posed to the property. The Financial Services Authority legislation dictates that we can’t deal with any insurance claim on your behalf unless we are a joint-policyholder, but if you have any queries about Building and Content Insurance for let properties, we can advise you. If your property is mortgaged, you must also inform your lender.

Legionella Risk Management

Legislation now makes it a legal duty for landlords to ensure that the risk of exposure of tenants to legionella is properly assessed and controlled, therefore a risk assessment will been to be carried out on the property by a competent person, ie trained and qualified to assess the risk of legionella in domestic hot and cold water systems.

Overseas Landlords

If you are a non-UK resident, you’ll need to complete a non-resident landlord form (NRL1) and send it to the Inland Revenue. You need to provide them with our reference number, NA42835, following which we will receive an approval number, giving us the authority to pay you. If you don’t apply, we’re legally required to forward 20% of the rental income after expenses to HMRC on a quarterly basis. If you already have an approval number, you will need to notify HMRC of the change in management and provide our number.

Do I need to register to be a landlord in Scotland?

In 2004, the Scottish Parliament passed the Antisocial Behaviour (Scotland) Act 2004. This law requires all private landlords to register with local authorities. It also gives local authorities powers to take specific action against landlords who do not take reasonable steps to manage any antisocial behaviour caused by their tenants. These measures took effect from April 2006.

Who needs to register?

Essentially any private landlord or agent who manages property for a private landlord needs to be registered. There are some exemptions including holiday lets, houses managed by religious orders and houses providing care services governed by Care Commission regulation.

How do you register?

Online at www.landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk.The application requires to be renewed every 3 years.

Already Registered?

If you are already registered, please ensure you inform the relevant council of the change of management and provide them with our Letting Agent Registration number.

What happens to landlords who do not register?

A landlord who does not register and continues to let the property is guilty of an offence. A local authority may serve a notice suspending the tenants’ rent payments. Alternatively, a local authority can seek a criminal prosecution against an unregistered landlord who continues to let property.

How much of the information are members of the public able to see?

The name(s) of registered landlords and the contact address(es) given by a landlord, which can be the letting agent’s address.


LetScotland Member medium web sticker     LAS Accredited Letting Agent logo 2     CLA Member Agent web and email logo


Expert Estate Agents and Property Lawyers Edinburgh, Glasgow, Kirkcaldy & Aberdeen

We want to help you get the best outcome for the future. If you’re looking to buy or sell your home and want capable, proactive and hardworking solicitors who offer expert advice and assistance with the conveyancing process, please get in touch.


Looking to Let your Property? Get in Touch

Contact us using the form below

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Please select a Legal Service
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input

Search properties for
sale and to rent